Mechanical attachment may be the primary method for securing the InSoFast panels to the wall surface if the concrete conditions do not allow adhesive usage. Use Tapcon® screws or Perma-grip nails in the center recessed attachment point on each stud, for a total of three screws per panel for interior drywall applications. Adhered stone applications require six screws per panel.
A mechanical fastener may be necessary if you forgot to apply adhesive to a stud or not enough adhesive was applied. Use a mechanical fastener where necessary to secure the panel to the wall. Use any of the nine recessed attachment points located on the face of the attachment studs.
Screw/Nail Attachment Pattern
Using the indicator markings on the panel, screws are placed 12” o.c. along the InSoFast studs per code report. InSoFast panels are generally screwed in place, however, you may opt to use nail guns to install the panels and siding provided the temperature is above 60° F for the stud to accept nails. It is up to the contractor and/or building official to determine the suitability for the nails in regard to use, length, and spacing.
For 16” O.C. Framing
InSoFast studs are 16” o.c. Install the first panel so that the built-in studs line up with and attach to the wall’s studs.
Nailing the panels to the wall when the nail has a minimum penetration into the structural framing stud, use screws if attaching to just the structural sheathing.
For 24” O.C. Framing
Attaching to 24” o.c. framing requires a structural sheathing you can screw to, such as OSB, plywood, or SIPs and requires the use of 8” o.c. indicator marks. The number of screws is dependent on wind load requirements.
Screw Fastening Guidelines
Both InSoFast flat panels FP-2.5 and FP- 2.0 can be directly attached to concrete surfaces. The concrete fasteners design load should be able to resist the shear (downward load) and pull-out forces. Note that all design load resistance defaults to the fastener's manufacturer's design load tables. See Below
If you choose to mechanically attach InSoFast panels to concrete or masonry walls, screws are to be placed 12″ o.c. along the InSoFast studs. Powder actuated tools are not recommended.
- Both panels InSoFast EX 2.5 and InSoFast UX 2.0 can be directly attached to most exterior surfaces as a continuous insulation barrier for the exterior envelope of a building. Fasteners design load should be resist the shear and wind loading resistance when used to secure the InSoFast panels to concrete, wood, or steel framing systems.
- Design Approvals: Where required by code or design professionals attaching the InSoFast panels and the suggested fastening methods identified may exceed 12″ o.c. should be prepared and engineered by a design professional licensed to do so.
- Design Loads: The design loads required by the local building code authorities shall not exceed the recommendations outlined in this guideline.
- Allowable Loads: The applied dead and negative wind loads should not exceed the tables outlined in this guideline for each of the different fastening systems for concrete, wood, or steel framing methods. The required fastener spacing is determined by the different fastener manufacture’s test reports for shear and wind
loading and not by InSoFast, LLC.
Fastening into Concrete
InSoFast studs are 16” o.c. If you choose to mechanically attach InSoFast panels to concrete or masonry the screws can be placed depending vertically on normal design load criteria at 24" o.c. (Typically) for light residential duty like basements, if the wall has a lot of cabinets (etc.) 12″ o.c. would be a medium duty recommendation, or if you need to hang a really heavy 57' Buick on the wall 8" o.c.
- Design Approvals: When required by code or by a design professionals attaching the InSoFast panels my be spaced closer or farther apart. Alternate fastener spacing should be engineered by a design professional licensed to do so.
- Powder actuated tools are not recommended. A link to a tool that our sales manager should not use.
CONDRIVE 500 GUIDELINES:
Place drill adapter into 3/8'' or 1/2'' chuck of standard hammer drill. Place drill bit in drill adapter and tighten set screw. Drill hole a minimum of 1/4'' deeper than Tapcon anchor is to be embedded.
Phillips Heads may be installed using either side of sleeve. To install a 1/4 diameter Hex Washer Head Tapcon, use large opening side of sleeve (see sleeve label). To install a 3/16 diameter Hex Washer Head Tapcon, use small opening side of sleeve (see sleeve label). Slide opposite side of sleeve over drill bit and snap onto drill bit adapter.
NOTE: If driving Hex Washer Head Tapcon, driver will automatically disengage. If driving Phillips Head Tapcon, care must be taken to ensure anchor is not overdriven.
Loosen set screw on side of drill adapter with 1/8'' Hex Key. Do not remove completely. Replace old drill bit with new one. Align flat side with set screw and tighten screw. Do not overtighten
The minimum embedment requirement for concrete or concrete/cinder block is 1″ and the maximum embedment is 1-3/4″. Either length fastener will work to fasten our 2″ thick stud to concrete.
Diameter 3/16” and 1/4”
Thread Form Original notched Hi-Lo®
|Part Number||Description Fastener Size||Drill Bit Dimensions||Part Number (drill bit)||InSoFast Panel thickness|
(phillips flat head)
(hex washer head)
|thick x long||Tapcon able to fasten material 1-3/4″ – 2-1/4″thick.|
|3177407||3147407||3/16 x 3-1/4″||5/32 x 5-1/2″||3097910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|3191407||3161407||1/4 x 3-1/4″||3/16 x 5-1/2″||3100910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|Tapcon able to fasten material 2-1/4″ – 2-3/4″ thick.|
|3179407||3149407||3/16 x 3-3/4″||5/32 x 5-1/2″||3097910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|3193407||3163407||1/4 x 3-3/4″||3/16 x 5-1/2″||3100910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
Combined Adhesive Attachment
For adhered applications using PL Premium adhesive on walls that are subject to peeling or flaking paint, it is important to supplement the installation of InSoFast panels with mechanical fasteners such as Tapcon® screws or Perma‐Grip nails.
- Remember to wait at least 24 hours for PL Premium Adhesive to cure before using fasteners in your wall. Over driving the fasteners before the glue sets may pin cushion the wall. Additionally it will pull the inter-lock tight to the wall making subsequent panel difficult to install.
- Install a row of mechanical fasteners between 6”and 18” from the ceiling at 48”-O.C. utilizing the recessed attachment points that are molded into the InSoFast studs.
- Install additional row(s) of mechanical fasteners at 48”-O.C. spacing as needed to keep a maximum of 48”-O.C. spacing between rows of fasteners.
- At the bottom of the wall, install a row of mechanical fasteners between 6”and 18” up from the floor at 48” on center.
InSoFast Plus Method
Need a higher R-value? No Problem! Start with a base of InSoFast continuous insulation panels they are feature-rich and easy to install. Then add rigid foam insulation over top of InSoFast panels.