How-To + Navigate:
Using Screws & Fasteners:
Mechanical attachment may be the primary method for securing the InSoFast panels to the wall surface if the concrete conditions do not allow adhesive usage. Use Tapcon® screws or Perma-grip nails in the center recessed attachment point on each stud, for a total of three screws per panel for interior drywall applications. Adhered stone applications require six screws per panel.
A mechanical fastener may be necessary if you forgot to apply adhesive to a stud or not enough adhesive was applied. Use a mechanical fastener where necessary to secure the panel to the wall. Use any of the nine recessed attachment points located on the face of the attachment studs.
Screw Attachment Pattern
- Both InSoFast flat panels FP-2.5 and FP- 2.0 can be directly attached to concrete surfaces. The concrete fasteners design load should be able to resist the shear (downward load) and pull-out forces. Note that all design load resistance defaults to the fastener's manufacturer's design load tables. See Below
InSoFast studs are 16” o.c. If you choose to mechanically attach InSoFast panels to concrete or masonry the screws can be placed depending vertically on normal design load criteria at 24" o.c. (Typically) for light residential duty like basements, if the wall has a lot of cabinets (etc.) 12″ o.c. would be a medium duty recommendation, or if you need to hang a really heavy 57' buick on the wall 8" o.c.
- Design Approvals: When required by code or by a design professionals attaching the InSoFast panels my be spaced closer or farther apart. Alternate fastener spacing should be engineered by a design professional licensed to do so.
- Powder actuated tools are not recommended. A link to a tool that our sales manager should not use.
Place drill adapter into 3/8'' or 1/2'' chuck of standard hammer drill. Place drill bit in drill adapter and tighten set screw. Drill hole a minimum of 1/4'' deeper than Tapcon anchor is to be embedded.
Phillips Heads may be installed using either side of sleeve. To install a 1/4 diameter Hex Washer Head Tapcon, use large opening side of sleeve (see sleeve label). To install a 3/16 diameter Hex Washer Head Tapcon, use small opening side of sleeve (see sleeve label). Slide opposite side of sleeve over drill bit and snap onto drill bit adapter.
NOTE: If driving Hex Washer Head Tapcon, driver will automatically disengage. If driving Phillips Head Tapcon, care must be taken to ensure anchor is not overdriven.
Loosen set screw on side of drill adapter with 1/8'' Hex Key. Do not remove completely. Replace old drill bit with new one. Align flat side with set screw and tighten screw. Do not overtighten
Combined Adhesive Attachment
For adhered applications using PL Premium adhesive on walls that are subject to peeling or flaking paint, it is important to supplement the installation of InSoFast panels with mechanical fasteners such as Tapcon® screws or Perma‐Grip nails.
- Remember to wait at least 24 hours for PL Premium Adhesive to cure before using fasteners in your wall. Over driving the fasteners before the glue sets may pin cushion the wall. Additionally it will pull the inter-lock tight to the wall making subsequent panel difficult to install.
- Install a row of mechanical fasteners between 6”and 18” from the ceiling at 48”-O.C. utilizing the recessed attachment points that are molded into the InSoFast studs.
- Install additional row(s) of mechanical fasteners at 48”-O.C. spacing as needed to keep a maximum of 48”-O.C. spacing between rows of fasteners.
- At the bottom of the wall, install a row of mechanical fasteners between 6”and 18” up from the floor at 48” on center.
Diameter 3/16” and 1/4”
Thread Form Original notched Hi-Lo®
|Part Number||Description Fastener Size||Drill Bit Dimensions||Part Number (drill bit)||InSoFast Panel thickness|
(phillips flat head)
(hex washer head)
|thick x long||Tapcon able to fasten material 1-3/4″ – 2-1/4″thick.|
|3177407||3147407||3/16 x 3-1/4″||5/32 x 5-1/2″||3097910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|3191407||3161407||1/4 x 3-1/4″||3/16 x 5-1/2″||3100910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|Tapcon able to fasten material 2-1/4″ – 2-3/4″ thick.|
|3179407||3149407||3/16 x 3-3/4″||5/32 x 5-1/2″||3097910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
|3193407||3163407||1/4 x 3-3/4″||3/16 x 5-1/2″||3100910||UX2.0 – EX2.5|
The minimum embedment requirement for concrete or concrete/cinder block is 1″ and the maximum embedment is 1-3/4″. Either length fastener will work to fasten our 2″ thick stud to concrete.
InSoFast Plus Method
Need a higher R-value? No Problem! Start with a base of InSoFast continuous insulation panels they are feature-rich and easy to install. Then add rigid foam insulation over top of InSoFast panels.