How To Links:
- Estimating & Installation Preparations
- Wood Window Frame Install
- Insulating Swing Doors
- Installing CX44 Panels on the Side Walls
- Inside Container Corners
- Installing Panels on the End Wall
- Installing Panels on the Ceiling
- Installing Panels on the Floor
- Installing Plumbing
- Installing Electrical
- Installing Drywall, Trim, Cabinets
- Cold Weather Adhesive Application Tips
Installing Drywall in a Shipping Container
Installing Drywall in a shipping container.
Drywall is installed over InSoFast panels in the same exact way it is installed onto traditional framing. Simply attach drywall to the InSoFast studs using all-purpose coarse drywall screws. Screws provide greater holding power than wallboard nails, minimize popping and help prevent damage to the panels. Below is a Self-dimpling attachment to help set the screws into the drywall to prevents the screw from over-driving and spinning out.
Depth Stop for Drywall
Drywall Screw Setters with your drill. They control the depth of the screw when driving in drywall, particle board and plywood.
Mark the Floor and Ceiling
It is a good practice to mark the wall to locate the ceiling studs before you lift and install the drywall.
Methods for handling inside corners.
- The corner which is solidly-backed and supported by the InSoFast panels can be locked together by running a bead of adhesive along the panel within 2" of its edge. The 2" is so you do not get your fingers into the glue.
- Just before attaching drywall, place a bead of adhesive on the foam near the corner, again the 2" rule. The drywall is bonded to the foam and the foam has been bonded to the shipping container, eliminating the need to have a stud in the corner. LoctitePL Premium 3X is recommended because it is non-volatile and will not melt through the foam. For information, see Installation > Adhesives.
- Alternatively: you can attach drywall by screwing into a metal corner angle (25ga sheet metal utility angle). You have the option of taping or gluing the metal angle to the InSoFast panels by running a bead of adhesive approximately 1" from each side of the corner.
Utility angle or light gauge metal "L" angle
The metal angle is used if attachment in the solidly backed corner is desired. The metal angle screwed together forms a solid corner in which to apply your finishes.
Start your screws
Start your screws into the drywall before you lift the sheet into place.
Cutting the openings
Stem or Partition Walls
Partition walls can be mechanically (screwed) to the panel's stud or adhesively attached to the foam.
Other links to get you started:
- Drywall Material Calculator: https://www.inchcalculator.com/drywall-calculator
- Drywall Material Calculator: https://www.homedepot.com/account/view/calculator/drywall
- Drywall Installation Cost Calculator: https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_install_drywall.html
- Alternate Finished: https://www.insofast.com/explore/stone-and-stucco.html
Drywall Fire Code and Alternatives
Important: InSoFast panels are manufactured using a flame retardant foam and are classified as rigid foam plastic insulation. They fall into the same class as pink, blue and yellow insulation boards which are required by code to be covered by ½” drywall or any other approved 15-minute thermal barrier (IBC 2603.4). If choosing an alternative to drywall it is important to check with your local building code official to make sure it meets your local requirements.
Related documents and application instructions
There are numerous types of finishes that are designed for or can applied to the InSoFast panels. The following is a short list of links to finish materials and application instructions.
- Installing Outside Corner Angles over InSoFast (PDF, 45kb)
- e²XP® Interior Extreme™ Mold-Resistant Drywall Spec Sheet (PDF, 227kb)
- USG Mold Tough™ Sheetrock® Submittal Sheet (PDF, 144kb)
- NGC PermaBase® Cement Board Construction Guide (PDF, 478kb)
- FEMA Flood Damage Resistant Drywall (PDF, 627kb)
- USG SHEETROCK® BRAND INSTALLATION AND FINISHING GUIDE
- CertainTeed Install Like the Pros
- National Gypsum Wall Board Guide
- Sheet Metal Corner Angles for Drywall (PDF, 206kb)
- Laminated FRP Installation Guide for InSoFast Panels (PDF.547kb)
InSoFast Plus Method
Need a higher R-value? No Problem! Start with a base of InSoFast continuous insulation panels they are feature-rich and easy to install. Then add rigid foam insulation over top of InSoFast panels.